Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Faith and Recent Media: Neutron Star Collision

So, I don't blog in 11 months and then I come back to briefly discuss yet another Muse song, haha. I am writing this as much to tell you all that I do still think about blogging (but often just don't feel eloquent enough to write) as I am to discuss the topic at hand.

As a big fan of Muse I was thrilled to hear their new single (even if it was written for 'Eclipse'). Something I have noticed is that Muse often sing about apocalyptic topics, and, at times, with an atheistic bent. While I am not sure of the band's stand on faith/religion I find this interesting because it gets me wondering, "Are these lyrics just lyrics or is there a deeper reality to them in either searching for God or an atheistic(?) rant against Him???"

I give you their newest single (I quite enjoy the name...oh, and please excuse all 'Twilight: Eclipse' clips...haha, Eclipse clips...get it...it's funny).
Neutron Star Collison (Love is Forever)



And now the lyrics:

I was searching
You were on a mission
Then our hearts combined like
A Neutron Star Collision

I had nothing left to lose
You took your time to choose
Then we told eachother with no trace of fear that

Our love would be forever
And if we died
We died together
And I
I said never
Cause our love would be forever

The world is broken
And halo's fail to glisten
We tried to make a difference but
No one wants to listen
Hail, the preachers fake and proud
Their doctrines will be cloud
Then they'll dissipate
Like snowflakes in an ocean

Love is forever
And we'll die
we'll die together
And I
I said never
Cause our love could be forever

Now, I've got nothing left to lose
You take your time to choose
I can tell you now without a trace of fear
That my love will be forever
And we'll die
we'll die together
And I
I will never
Cause our love
Will be forever

I am most particularly interested in the second half of the second verse. While I think there are two possible readings for the line on preachers (a) that all are fake and proud or (b) the next lines are only for those preachers who are fake and proud (meaning there are those who are not) I tend to take the second meaning. Being me I often hear words that are tied to faith even when they are not meant to (especially in song lyrics). Throughout this song I cannot help but hear the voice of God speaking of an undying love for His children, even in a broken world where people would rather listen to whatever it is they want to hear over the voice of God (think 2 Timothy 4:3), and with preachers whose words are vapor (think Matthew 7:13-23). OR maybe this is just another rock song I am reading too much in to. Give me some feedback.

Peace and Love

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I`ve never considered your perspective.. that GOD can try to communicate with us through any mode of choice ,and yes we have his word but many have searched GOD out and found him through other channels ...but not to say they come in by another door but to say they are lead to the foot of the cross! AWESOME!
    THEIR view might be "A" and yours is "B" and I agree with you !it takes some wisdom and or discernment to find the B`s ,not BS but "B"`s
    Thanks for blogging! Michael Pelletier

    ReplyDelete