Thursday, February 12, 2009

Interpretation of the Songs

(I deleted two longer, less pointed intros to write this one...enjoy)

Recently I have been frequently listening to 'The Killers' lastest album Day and Age and one particular song on this album (their first single) 'Human.' While I did not really care for the song on first hearing I started to grow a liking for it, particularly the lyrics.

Being someone who is a fan of the radio and some Top 40 music (even if I don't like it I still appreciate the change up from what I ordinarily listen to), I have, at times had a tendancy to take these songs and try to tease out a deeper, alternate, or spiritual meaning to their often ignoble or confusing lyrics. (I'll have you know that I once even turned one of Hamlet's soliloquys into a prayer).

Anyway, upon multiple listenings I've teased out some meaning to 'Human' which may not be processed on a primary listening. Here's the lyrics:

"I did my best to notice
When the call came down the line
Up to the platform of surrender
I was brought but I was kind
And sometimes I get nervous
When I see an open door
Close your eyes, clear your heart
Cut the cord

(Chorus)
Are we human or are we dancers?
My sign is vital, my hands are cold
And I'm on my knees looking for the answer
Are we human or are we dancers?

Pay my respects to grace and virtue
Send my condolences to good
Give my regards to soul and romance
They always did the best they could
And so long to devotion
You taught me everything I know
Wave goodbye, wish me well
You've gotta let me go

Will your system be alright
When you dream of home tonight?
There is no message we're receiving
Let me know, is your heart still beating?"


My interpretation:

I can't help but hear this song being sung by someone looking in on our Western culture, most likely a follower of Christ. The first verse is hearing the call to follow Christ; closing their eyes to step out in faith, clearing their heart of that which binds them to sin (accomplished only when we are "called to the platform of surrender"), and then cutting the cords that keep them entanlged in that sin.

The Chorus flashes back to the human race (or in this case "Westerners") and they ask themselves "Are we human?" beings created to feel, live, love, breathe, to walk with Christ "or are we dancer?" beings who are caught up in what they are doing: entertaining, and being entertained, by everything around them that they have become children of that entertainment, no longer do they care about those who are human. In fact "human" is something that is lying on its deathbed, the dancer has taken over and almost completely forgets what human even means. But there are those few who are still on their knees seeking the Truth found in Christ.
(My point here is not to get down on dancing, I like dancing, have even taken lessons, and realize that it is a biblical practice. Please understand it as a metaphor.)

The second verse continues on; either character in this story could be realizing that in the pursuit of the "dancer" all of these traits, which are indivisible from being "human," are being lost. To the follower of Christ they "wave goodbye" to an old life, to the "dancer" they wave goodbye to their remaining humanity, instead chasing their own passions.

The final verse (the bridge) of the song switches back to the perspective of the follower of Christ asking those "dancer"s (or those caught somewhere in between), "can you handle a vision of your true Home? You are not hearing the Message (of the cross) that was sent, can you truly live without it? Have you abandoned the 'human' all together, are you all 'dancer'? Or is there still a chance of your 'human'ity?"

While I have edited out repeats of choruses and other lyric repetition the main thrust of the song, the question, "Are we human or are we dancer?" is repeated 9 times. This is a question that keeps coming up over and over again, it is the most recurring lyric in the song.

I post this because two weeks ago I got to preach in my home church. I fully intended on sharing what I have written in part of my sermon as I asked at one point, "Why do we need to be so entertained?" While the excerpt I have written here, regarding 'Human' did not make the final cut of the sermon for the sake of flow and content the song did inspire many other thinking points of my sermon. The answer I proposed to my own question, of being a society in constant need of entertaining, is that perhaps we are trying to drown out the voice of God who wants to be in relationship with his children and we are afraid of what he might say.

Maybe your thinking, "Wow, that was out there." That's not entirely unexpected from me, but I hope you enjoyed.

Questions, comments, abuse???
I hope not the last one, but I have inspired it before :)...hence my self-loathing.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Josh,

    This is really helpful stuff. I've heard that song dozens of times and couldn't make heads or tails of it. Your interpretation of the juxtaposition of "dancer" and "human" seems to fit really well with rest of the song. Thanks for helping me appreciate that song a little more. I'm looking forward to listening to it again with some of these themes in view.

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun, fun. Maybe I'll do this with a song from the greatest band ever. . . I know you know who

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I don't know if I can go this long in between postings . . .

    ReplyDelete