Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Looking for Info or an Opinion

Hello to all 4 of you that read my blog.

Today I seek to tap your knowledge and theological prowess on a couple of books that I am considering to read.

A couple of weeks ago I was in Winnipeg purusing McNally Robinson when I stumbled across two titles which caught my eye and had left me thinking, "Maybe I should read these." These books were:
The Existential Jesus by John Carroll (Counterpoint, 2008)
How Jesus Became a Christian: St. Paul, the Early Church and the Jesus Cover-up by Barrie Wilson (Random House Canada, 2008)

Any information that any of you can provide on either of these books or their authors would be helpful. I am really trying to find out if either of these is worth my time reading or if they just happened to grace(?) the shelves of a well-known book store for their edginess.

I you don't feel comfortable posting just fire me an email.

Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. The second one looks like it proposes the idea that Paul corrupted the teaching of Jesus. I always wondered where they got to Jesus' teaching? Gospels? Kind of convenient in my opinion. Put on Paul all the things they don't like about the Jesus portrayed in the new testament. Sometimes they go to the gnostic gospels after that.

    The second could be okay if it's describing an existentialist's view of Jesus. You should read The Quest of the Historical Jesus by Albert Schweitzer.

    ReplyDelete