Monday, February 16, 2009

Making the Switch

Hello readers (yes, this is my second post in 2 weeks...applaud now).

I don't know how many of you read magazines but I have always quite enjoyed this medium of written media. I typically never read (or commit) to more than one magazine at a time (because (a) I don't think there are many magazines worth reading and (b) I would feel like I was cheating on one magazine if I read another), although it happened at times.

For some number of years now my magazine of choice has been Rolling Stone (I know some of you are making a face...stop that) because I consider myself to be a 'rocker' in some sense of the term (I was born to be a rock star, but I won't go into that now) and somewhat enjoy keeping up with the ebb and flow of the music industry in general. I started reading Rolling Stone when I was in high school while my brother had a subscription. Ever since whenever I see a new issue I pick it up and page through it, and, depending on the articles, make the purchase. While in college there were times when I would just feel that need to relax a little so I would buy the latest RS and listen to Neil Young (why Neil Young??? Well it was specifically his Freedom album, and particularly the song 'Crime in the City'...listen to it, you'll understand).

Over the last few months I have regularly been purchasing Rolling Stone magazine, regardless of the articles, in order to keep my reading a little more interesting (and there's an excitement finding the new issue each time). However, since this steady purchasing has come to pass I find myself getting more and more frustrated with Rolling Stone regarding their very left wing (liberal) perspectives on world happenings. While I consider myself to be a person who can appreciate a well thought out argument, regardless of position, RS seems to blindly shoot from the hip with very little thought or explanation of their points of view. I now find reading RS to be a brainwashing exercise; those who read are just expected to go along with whatever the editors of RS print.

For this reason, along with my growing dislike of entertainment-driven culture (you've probably caught that already if you've been following this blog), the need to grow up and pay attention to larger issues, and feeling that I should be supporting a Canadian publication (and therefore more Canadian-driven content) I have taken out a subscription to Maclean's magazine (if you don't know Maclean's think Canada's take on Newsweek).

While some may argue that in regards to political content Maclean's is about the same stance as Rolling Stone in reading Maclean's publications lately I have been attracted to it for the following reasons:
1) I find it to be enough of a mixed bag, most of the time, in terms of political stance
2) Agruments made in Maclean's largely seem to be thought out and explained (at least more than RS)
3) Maclean's is a Canadian publication with Canadian content
4) Maclean's writes about world issues as well as Canadian
5) I have come to the realization that it is time to grow up and quit being so self/entertainment driven and start being informed about larger issues affecting my country and world

I am not completely sold on Maclean's being a weekly news magazine, as I am more comfortable with a monthly pubication, but I guess it's just going to have to be something I get over.

While I am largely walking away from Rolling Stone I think the allure of the glitz and glamour of it will always remain to some extent. Knowing myself I will probably buy the occasional issue...if there is an interesting article or someone great is on the cover...hence my self-loathing.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, RS is weird politics. Lots of conspiracy crap. Plus they love DMB's crappy albums but just think the great ones, the ones that make me proud, are ok.

    In a side note, did you ever see the irony in a bad like say Rage Against the Machine playing on MTV? You don't get more corporate than that.

    ReplyDelete